Install XFile on an end-user machine
Step 1: Check that users are allowed to install and run signed ActiveX controls
In order to install and use XFile or XFileEE in Internet Explorer, the ActiveX security settings in IE and group policy setting should allow users to install and run signed ActiveX controls.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options
- Go to the Security tab.
- Select the zone that you use (Internet/Intranet)
- Click on the Custom Level button to see the security settings for that particular zone.
- Under ActiveX Controls and Plug-Ins, make sure the following settings are enabled:
- Automatic prompting for ActiveX Controls - Enable
- Download signed ActiveX Controls - Prompt (recommended)
- Run ActiveX Controls & Plug-Ins - Enable
Step 2: Remove any existing XFile installatons
Make sure that XFile is uninstalled. See Remove XFile from an end-user machine below.
Step 3: Download and Install XFile
- Browse to the page in the web application that uses XFile.
- The first time the XFile ActiveX control is being installed on the client machine, IE shows an information bar asking you to install the add-on. Select the option to install the ActiveX control.
Step 4: Verify Installation
- While on the page that uses XFile, go to Tools > Manage Add-Ons
- Select Currently loaded add-ons from the Show drop-down. The SAXFile ActiveX control should be visible.
Remove XFile from an end-user machine
These instructions are for removing XFile from Internet Explorer 8 or later. Please refer to these instructions for removing XFile from IE 6 or 7.
- Close all instances of Internet Explorer (IE) to remove XFile from memory.
- Start a new instance of IE.
- Go to Tools > Manage Add-ons
- Select All add-ons from the Show dropdown.
- Select any of the XFile controls listed (SAXFile FileUpload ActiveX Control, FileManager Class, Archive Class etc.) and double-click on it.
- You should be able to click "Remove/Delete". If this is grayed out, there may be a group policy setting for IE that doesn't allow users to remove add-ons.
- Close the instance of IE.
- Restart IE.